Alice Ernestine Kivell
born 1907, married Herbert Downs in 1926 and died a few months later of Tuberculosis. Buried at the Kopuatama Cemetery in Stratford.
Arthur Edward Kivell
was born March 9, 1909, in St Helen's Hospital Wellington. He died in Palmerston North Hospital 22nd August 1918, of Tubercular meningitis (ten days).
Ernest Charles Kivell 
born 1910 was the second son of Charles Ernest Kivell and Grace Eleanor Tasker. He was born in Wellington. During his childhood he contracted poliomyelitis which left him with one leg a little shorter than the other and with a slightly twisted foot. His boots were specially made and built up. He worked for NZ Railways and during that time worked as a ganger doing railway maintenance. For several years he was based at Cross Creek near Featherston and then at Te Kawhata. After the death of Henry Wills, third husband of his mother Grace, he came back to live with his mother at Disraeli Street. After Grace died in July of 1962 he lived with his sister Grace at 33 Caledonia Street Hawera until his death in October of 1976. For 12 years he was a delegate to the National Union of Railwaymen. He retired in 1975. He was known as Dan to his workmates.
Ernest liked to garden and near Whareroa, (now the site of the Fonterra Dairy Factory) he had a patch of land (then belonging to the railways I think) in which he grew vegetables. He liked to gamble on racehorses and enjoyed his pint/s of beer.
Farewell to the Railways (Newspaper article July 1975)
After 37 years with the Railways department and 12 years as North Island delegate to the National Union of Railwaymen, Mr Dan Kivell, Hawera, will retire tomorrow.
Dan has no choice but to step down from both roles - tomorrow he reaches the compulsory retirement age of 65. While he has some regrets, he looks forward to an end of 37 years of rising at 6 a.m. to face the track in all weathers.
"I've thoroughly enjoyed the years on the job, and particularly the friends I've made," he said yesterday.
He's Dan Kivell to the railwaymen, Ernie to the family and "Uncle" to his friends - even those who in good humour ascribe his ruddy complexion to "too much sleeping in the fern."
He says he had never been a militant unionist. He doesn't believe in strikes, which he says achieve nothing a quiet word with the bosses would not usually achieve.
He represents about 1000 maintenance men from throughout the North Island on the national executive of the union, and believes fervently in the need for labour representation and unions.
While on the national executive he also served 12 years with the Railways Appeal Board. The two jobs have meant up to six months each year away from home.
He joined the NZR at Hawera, serving with the maintenance sections in the Wanganui, Wairarapa and South Auckland areas before returning to Hawera in 1957.